Saturday, June 14, 2014

For Michael!

Saturday's run was a "get my house in order" kind of run. Discouraged by the Racer X Syndrome Run and the I'm a Quitter Run, I decided that it was time to refocus my energy. I needed to prove to myself that I am in fact, fit and that I can in fact, run a marathon because I am mentally strong.

This Rocky (the boxer, not the feeling of uneasiness)-moment run is dedicated to Michael. Thanks for the donation. It serves to keep me going, even when the going gets tough.


Yeah! Billy Ocean!


I set out Saturday morning determined to offset my lousy hangover from the busted 22 miler. I planned a four miler, the same out-and-back that I've run many a time before. Out the door, turn right out of the driveway, turn around at 2 miles and come back. Nothing glorious, but as they say in India, "I have to do the needful."

I knew it was going to be a good run when I turned a corner and saw a deer. I actually yelled out loud, "YES!" and did a little fist pump when I saw it. A fist pump. By myself. In the woods. What can I say? It geeks me out to see the animals here at the lake. We've seen deer, pine martins, weasels, raccoons, loons, herons, woodpeckers...it's awesome. And it adds some variety to well-plied dead end road runs.

Because this wasn't about proving my distance, it was about proving my mental toughness, there would be no stopping and chatting with neighbors, no checking the mail or no stopping to snap photos on this run. I just needed to get out and do it.

The first mile was all about getting the day before's kinks out. Like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, my knees screamed "Oil me!" as I ran the first mile in 7:27. That's a normal pace for me on shorter to mid-distance runs. Feeling good, I stepped it up for the second mile.

7:00. Now I was inspired. "You're going to kick this run in the buns," I said to myself, ignoring my screaming calves and thighs. Mile three was 7:15, slightly slower, so as Ms. MapMyRun mocked my decreased pace (so it seemed to me), I made up my mind to answer her challenge. Mile four found me turning it up and as I crossed the edge of the driveway, she was telling me that I had finished the last mile in 7:01. This isn't my fastest Murphy Lake 4 Miler, but it was the third best. Knowing that now, it's time to break the record for this route.

I don't intend on running the marathon that fast, but reminding myself that I'm strong, capable and mentally tough is helping me overcome the slump of the last few runs.

I've got this.

There aren't too many more runs to dedicate before the race, so get on it if you're donating!


This run belongs to Michael.

I'm dedicating runs to raise money for a campship in memory of our friend Ty Taylor at YMCA Camp Miller. Click here or here to donate. Please make sure you choose the Ty Taylor Campship option. And please let me know if you've made a donation so I can thank you!


RUN STATS:
Distance - 4 miles
Time - 28:53
Soundtrack - Beastie Boys, Hello Nasty

No comments:

Post a Comment