Sunday, June 15, 2014

For Rachel!

Yesterday's run is dedicated to Rachel! Not the Rachel who donated before, but a completely different, wonderful and generous Rachel altogether. Rachel and I taught together in Seoul and have been in strong Facebook contact since! I would love for us to meet up again do a run together sometime soon...ideas?

In the vein of cleaning house, Friday's run was the same old same old Murphy Cuatro. This is the 2 miles and turn around run from my house that generally yields no interesting sights, so there's plenty of time to focus on running.

Thursday's run featured two new things. I ran without a hydration pack after learning that my first water stop is at the 3 mile mark in the marathon. I need to wean myself from on-demand water. Also, it's nice to get rid of the extra weight! On long runs, I usually run with up to 100 ounces of water in my Camelbak, which weighs up to six pounds. It's nice to be free of the pack too, which can be constricting with all of the straps, clips and ties.

Which leads to new thing number two. I ran today with my new Thump wireless headphones. This is not meant to be an endorsement of the product, but getting rid of that cord is awesome! It remains to be seen just how well they work and how comfortable they are, but that will soon be proven on race day. I'll bring the oldies just in case, but for now I expect these new ones to work out.

The run was a great one. I was really strong on my pace. Nothing too much to write about, just a fast run overall. But, it never felt too fast. It felt in control the whole time.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 6:59
Mile 2 - 6:43
Mile 3 - 6:48
Mile 4 - 6:30

Plus six seconds of finishing time means 27:12 overall. By the way, this is the fastest time on the Murphy Cuatro. I've run it eight times in the last three summers and this time was exactly one minute faster than the previous record!

Like I said, this isn't a lot to write about, just a bit of a brag. If only there was some way to maintain this pace over 26.2 miles, this would be almost exactly the pace needed to run a sub-3 hour marathon. Then I'd be in the same elite club as Paul Ryan!

Ha. I'm kidding. But really, I have been thinking about my pace a lot lately. I'd love to get a sub-4 hour, which means that I need to to run a little faster than 9:10 per mile. I know I can do it for most of the run, but what will happen late in the race? I'm getting nervous.


This run belongs to Rachel!

I'm dedicating runs to raise money for a campship in memory of our friend Ty Taylor at YMCA Camp Miller. Click here or here to donate. Please make sure you choose the Ty Taylor Campship option. And please let me know if you've made a donation so I can thank you!

RUN STATS:
Distance - 4.01 miles
Time - 27:12
Soundtrack - Beastie Boys, Hello Nasty

No comments:

Post a Comment